Super Berry Surprise
Sometimes you get unexpected guests and need a nice dessert, or you’re on the run for a pot luck or picnic. Try this simple but tasty treat, using one of your homemade angel food cakes and some delicious fresh berries.
- 1 homemade Angel Food Cake (see recipe above)
- 2 cups 0% Greek style vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, or frozen and thawed
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Berries for garnish on top
- Cut the cake into 3 layers, and place one on a serving platter.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the layer with some of the orange juice.
- With an electric mixer, beat the yogurt and honey together until well blended.
- Remove about 1/3rd of the mixture and set aside in a small bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, fold the berries in gently into the larger bowl of mixture.
- Spread half of the mixture on the first cake layer, spreading until just about the inner and outer edges of the bundt cake.
- Place another layer of cake on top. Brush with the orange juice.
- Place the second half of the mixture on top of the second layer, working your way towards the edges.
- Place the third layer on top of the cake and press down firmly.
- Pour the remaining orange juice around the top layer of the cake.
- Top with the yogurt in the smaller bowl. Either leave it all on top, or spread it down the sides like frosting.
- Decorate with fruit as desired, and refrigerate until ready to serve or to take with you. If it is a hot day and you have a short time span until you have to leave, you can place it in the freezer for up to 30 minutes.