Here are some quick and easy recipes for:
Let’s start with your own homemade candy.
Chocolate Orange Meltways
Nothing is more delicious than homemade candy. The only sugar in it is in the chocolate, so use dark if you prefer rather than a mixture to keep down the sweetness. Portion it into 72 pieces and they will have about 6 carbs each.
You will get 2 kinds of candy from this recipe-half rolled in nuts, half dipped in chocolate. If you are concerned anyone is allergic to nuts, roll in chopped raisins, or craisins, or double the candy coating recipe.
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped pecans, toasted (or raisins or craisins)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening such as Crisco
- In a large glass bowl, place the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a saucepan with a heavy bottom, over a medium flame, add the cream and orange peel and heat to a gentle boil, stirring regularly.
- Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate chips in the bowl.
- Let stand for 1 minute.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add the orange extract and whisk in thoroughly.
- Cover and chill for 35 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- While it is cooling, line some baking sheets or plates with waxed paper.
- When the mixture has thickened, beat it for 10-15 seconds, or just until it lightens in color. Do not over-beat.
- Spoon rounded teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover and chill for 5 minutes.
- Gently shape into balls. Roll half of the number of balls you have made in the nuts, and set in the refrigerator to chill.
- In glass bowl, place the coating ingredients. Microwave on high for about 1 minute.
- Stir well and continue to heat until the coating mixture is completely smooth.
- Dip the remaining balls in the chocolate coating. Shake each to allow the excess to drip off.
- Place on waxed paper. Let stand in a cool place until set.
- Store in a cool place for up to 2 weeks. You can freeze them as well.
- Note that refrigeration and freezing will change the color of the chocolate, making it whiter, but it will still be fine to eat.